Welcome
Welcome to Caligari Truespace 3D Modeling Forum and Tutorials.

Click this link to join our community today.

Blender 3D for Battlezone 2 model creation?

Some of our visiters use this modeling software. I added this general blog in the hope that these users can post some modeling tips and perhaps some tutorials as well. Thanks in advance to our active posters that make this casual modeling blog a worthwhile endeavor. Leroy, forum admin.

Blender 3D for Battlezone 2 model creation?

Postby BNG123 » January 16th, 2013, 10:58 pm

;) I'm not really a big fan of Blender modeling software in general due to it's complex advanced modeling tools, but the latest version of Blender does seem to have become quite a bit easier to use then most of the older versions. The user interface has been overhauled by the developers to make Blender easier to navigate. Models can be exported using the Direct X or 3DS exporter plugin setting the export settings with the Y axis up. Once this is done the model can be converted to XSI via 3D Exploration 1.5.5.

I still don't understand the texturing part of Blender, but the general concept is to apply a material to objects first then apply a UV map modifyier and finally apply a 2D texture image prior to exporting the model as 3DS. If I ever figure this step out then I'll revise the post to reflect these changes. :roll:
BNG123

Have thanks: 2 time

Re: Blender 2.65a for Battlezone 2 model creation?

Postby kbarter » February 7th, 2013, 2:54 pm

Hello!

I've registered myself to answer you question.

I'm BZ2 mooder so its like a miracle for me to find another person who is interested in mod making for this old game.

No,BZ2 is NOT dead. This game maybe got outdated but living community and practically all-day ST matches proves that this game is not ready to be burried.

About Blender - I've read almost all Your posts on some websites and must really appreciate your will to port old Direct X exporter for blender. I'm also new Blender user after I tried this program. I worked with Milkshape 3D before and I must say that Blender is much better program for model making, shame there is not so much plugins for exporting.

About UV mapping - yes, I had problems with it too, but I got familiar with it after one (!) day. UV mapping looks maybe difficult but this is because it offers better set-ups for mapping textures on models.

If You want, I can tell You how the UV mapping works - I made a one bit complicated model today and I must say that making the model in Milkshape will be bit... unpossible.

Thats all from me now,

KBarter
kbarter

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby BNG123 » February 9th, 2013, 10:54 am

Thanks, I could use some pointers about UV mapping in Blender. I've tried using Blender since 2005, but never could quite wrap my head on how it works. I've been using Caligari modeling software with some good results as the software is fairly easy to use. UV mapping is automatically applied in Caligari and applying 2D textures is basically a drag and drop operation. Blender, on the other hand has me quite baffled though. If you feel up to it I'd appreciate it if you would post a general tutorial for other BZII modders that prefer using using Blender over Caligari. Leroy.
BNG123

Postby kbarter » February 13th, 2013, 10:52 am

Hello,

I can write a tutorial for people who uses Blender. But I don't know hows the situation about BZ2 X or XSI exporter. I've heard that XSI exporter was made for 2.4x, but today people will go for 2.62 I believe. 2.62 has better interface, so I think users will point their attention right on 2.62 or 2.65(a).

KB.
kbarter

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby BNG123 » December 3rd, 2014, 8:55 am

kbarter wrote:Hello,

I can write a tutorial for people who uses Blender. But I don't know hows the situation about BZ2 X or XSI exporter. I've heard that XSI exporter was made for 2.4x, but today people will go for 2.62 I believe. 2.62 has better interface, so I think users will point their attention right on 2.62 or 2.65(a).

KB.

Thanks KB. Writing a BZII model making tutorial for Blender 2.62 would be most excellent. Considering that Blender can export the more common 3DS model format and 3D Exploration 1.5.5 can convert it to XSI just fine I would suggest using it as the exporter for your BZII tutorial, and thank you for your kind offer. Leroy.
Last bumped by BNG123 on December 3rd, 2014, 8:55 am.
BNG123

Return to Blogging Blender 3D Modeling Software.