Welcome
Welcome to Caligari Truespace 3D Modeling Forum and Tutorials.

Click this link to join our community today.

Anim8or 0.97 Preview for Battlezone 2 Combat Commander?

Anim8or 3D is quite impressive and fairly simple to master model making tool for casual 3D modeling hobbyists. Animation is supported and 3rd party plugins are user creatable with simple plain text based tools like MS Notepad. Anim8or creator, Steve Gansville is currently updating the software with some much needed modeling tool functions.

Anim8or 0.97 Preview for Battlezone 2 Combat Commander?

Postby BNG123 » March 5th, 2012, 5:54 am

1. Update: After some exhuastive and somewhat frustrating testing I have determined that Anim8or is not ideally suited for use with BZII Combat Commander for the following reasons:

2. The Raxx XSI exporter does not support exporting any animation at all. The native A8 model format is the only format that actually supports animation. To my knowledge there are no 3rd party file converters available that can convert the A8 animation to other popular formats like X or 3DS.

3. Anim8or, can not export a standard UV map of any kind for editing in a seperate paint program. A 3rd party UV editor would be required to do this task. Lithunwrap, can unwrap an Anim8or X, 3DS, OBJ or binary Caligari COB model.

4. On the bright side, Anim8or, can be used to create and export simple BZII models and props where the model itself does not require having multiple objects linked in sub grouped model part assemblies. Examples of this include the ISDF Tanks, Scouts, and various other models in the same class.

This newer version has some potential with it's customized BZII XSI exporter it also natively supports 3DS, LWO and OBJ import/export function for use in creating and editing models for BZII. I also noticed that the latest versions since 0.95 fully support ASL scripts for writing text based export plugins and addons for Anim8or. I found several 3rd party X exporters along with many other user written scripts for creating new features for the software. Check out this site to learn more about Anim8or.

Code: Select all
Features
3D Modeler - Create and modify 3D models.  Built-in primitives such as spheres, cylinders, platonic solids, etc.; mesh-edit and subdivision; splines, extrusion, lathing, modifiers, bevel and warps,
TrueType font support - 2D and 3D extruded text for any TrueType font.
OpenGL based real time operation,
Import and modify .3DS (3D Studio), .LWO (Lightwave), and .OBJ (Wavefront) object files,
Export .3DS files, however, animation is not exported.
Built in 3D Object browser,
Jointed character editor,
Morph target animation,

Anti-aliased software renderer for high quality, production quality images,
Create 3D scenes and animations and output .AVI movie files, .JPG and .BMP images,
Supports textures, bump maps, soft shadows, spotlights, fog, and much more,
Texture support for .BMP, .GIF, and .JPG format files; textures must be in powers of 2.
Print images of scenes and models.
OpenGL shaders for realistic previews.
ASL Scripting language for writing Anim8or add-ons and plug-ins.
Plug-ins for parameteric shape and object export.

System Requirements
Windows ME, Windows NT4, WinXP, or Win7,

OpenGL accelerated graphics card with full ICD support, (ala GeForce),
512 MB memory, 1024MB recommended,

25MB disk space.

The software is free and looks even easier to use then Caligari Truespace. The site has an active forum, download links and various ASL plugin scripts as well as some basic tutorials on how to use the software. I've been searching that forum and am certain that BZII modders will find the site and software somewhat useful for creating BZII props in the XSI modeling format. Animation is also supported with the native AN8 model format and the software looks fairly simple to use. BNG.

I've started to use Anim8or for various modeling to see how easy it will be overall and have installed several ASL scripts most of which work as advertised. People with some basic programming related knowledge will find writing scripts a bit easier to create then C++ as they are all written in plain text format don't require a special compiler; in fact Notepad can be used to write scripts for Anim8or. I've begun looking at the X exporter scripts to modify them for possible adaptation to an XSI variant. Who knows? Only time and patience will tell one way or the other. :ugeek:
BNG123

Have thanks: 2 time

Re: Anim8or 0.97 Beta for Battlezone II?

Postby BNG123 » March 7th, 2012, 12:32 pm

Download this attachment to get Anim8or 0.97 Beta. It's just under a meg in size and does not really need to be installed. Just unzip the file to extract the software. Double click the exe to run the sofware. If you visit the Anim8or forum and click ASL scripts you can download quite a few useful scripts. You can autoload scripts by clicking File>Configure>and put an X in Preload Scripts. That way they will be loaded when you run Anim8or. The user interface is proving to be more difficult to navigate then that of Truespace though. PS: As far as I know the software is no longer under development but maybe a few members can post some tutorials on how to do basic stuff like applying textures, editing objects, and linking objects together. I've been unable to figure this stuff out yet; give me my Truespace any time over modeling software where you have to think too much on how use it as asposed to actually using the software. All puns aside hopefully I'll get it together and post a tutorial or two on how to use Anim8or?Image
Attachments
anim8or_v097d_preview.zip
Anim8or Software Download
(926.41 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
BNG123

Postby BNG123 » March 7th, 2012, 7:21 pm

Update: Apparently Anim8or ain't that difficult to use after all. Some reading of the help file and PDF manual helped a lot to figure a few things on how to do stuff in Anim8or. Apparently, objects need to be converted to an editable mesh to really get started with the editing tools. Applying textures is pretty simple once you set up where the software should look for 2D textures. Once an object is converted to an editable mesh you can begin modifying it fairly easy. I'm still figuring it out, but at least now I more or less doing more then scratching my head.

The Anim8or home forum is a very good source of information. I highly recommend interested modeler's visit just the same as it's a great learning resource. I've also downloaded and installed a ton of cool ASL plugin scripts and some object generation scripts. I found export scripts for 4 DirectX versions, XSI, and several other game type formats. I haven't messed with the key frame animation tools yet but it does support the feature. It also supports object linking although it's refered to as grouping in Anim8or. I'll post progress reports and some tutorials as I figure things out. BNG. :mrgreen:
BNG123

Postby BNG123 » March 12th, 2012, 6:32 pm

Anim8or, is definately worth getting as it's fairly simple to install and use. At just under a meg in size you can easily install it on a thumb drive and have plenty of free space for models. Anim8or, is a single file no installer is needed. You just open the program file and wala you're ready to start using it. PS: I'm in the process of modifying a DirectX exporter script for use as an XSI exporter. So far I've modified the header information, and a few other SI name requirements.
BNG123

Postby BNG123 » March 14th, 2012, 5:09 pm

It looks like Anim8or may have limited usefulness for BZII models as it does not seem to support the kind of object linking that BZII need to see in the models hierarchal tree structure. I've posted some questions on the Anim8or forum, so we'll just have to see if the issue can be resolved. Simple models and props work okay though. Also, animation is not supported at this time.
BNG123

Postby BNG123 » September 12th, 2014, 3:01 am

I have good news an Anim8or user named Raxx modified an existing ASL X export script for me so that people who use the software can export X models for conversion to BZII XSI using 3D Exploration 1.5.5. Anim8or does not support the model hierarchal structure that BZII uses, so X models made and exported from A8 need to import in to another modeling software like Truespace or editing model parts together in Notepad. Doing this allows the joining of model parts the way BZII needs to see them. I highly recommend the use of A8 to create the geometry for BZII models as it seems quite capable of creating 3D models very easily. The ASL script function is also a very powerful scripting tool that thankfully is very user friendly in terms of using plain text to create all kinds of things like model format exporters, shape creation scripts, command scripts and new modeling tools for A8.

PS: I've attached the X script exporter for use with 3DEX in converting the models to XSI. If you use Anim8or and want to auto load it just open A8 and hit File>Configure and in the Scripts box point A8 to where you have your .A8S scripts stored. Once this is done then the next time you run A8 the X exporter script will appear as BZ II DirectX as an option in the drop down menu. Special thanks to Raxx for modifying the original X script for use with BZII.
Attachments
XSI_export.zip
Raxx BZII XSI Exporter
(1.82 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
BZII_X_plugin.zip
Raxx's A8 X Exporter script.
(1.71 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
Last bumped by BNG123 on September 12th, 2014, 3:01 am.
BNG123

Return to Blogging Anim8or 3D Modeling Software.