Welcome
Welcome to Caligari Truespace 3D Modeling Forum and Tutorials.

Click this link to join our community today.

Do you have the patience to use modeling software?

This is just a place to post articles and general 3D model related discussions. Anything can be talked about and questions related to working with 3D modeling software.

Do you have the patience to use modeling software?

Postby BNG123 » December 13th, 2012, 1:19 pm

I've found that unless you have some reason for creating artwork in any modeling software the endevour may be more of a challenge then most people are willing to spend their time on learning. In my case, the motivation was not just to create for the sake of creating fine art, but a simple desire to create some game models for a silly video game I happen to enjoy playing for the enjoyment of conquering the world in virtual reality. When I think back on the journey to present day I came to the sound conclusion that I'd really loved the ability to create things in 3D rather then just make a few silly game models. My journey lead me to interacting with other 3D model making hobbyists that ran the gambit from easy open minded people to down right mean spirited idiots with more money then brains. I found this in some people using more advanced modeling software like Studio Max. I was absolutely dumbfounded at some of the arrogant attitudes that I witnessed from some model makers who viewed other modeling software in such a negative light. However, my desire to make models in 3D was peaked and I was determined to learn the modeling softare in spite of the nay sayer's. I guess that's why I say to anyone that patience really is the key to to whether or not you have the patience to use modeling software.
BNG123

Have thanks: 2 time

Re: Do you have the patience to use modeling software?

Postby tsvetan » December 17th, 2012, 4:56 pm

I like to see the evolution of a 3d modeling or simulating software, beginning at the basics tools and methods. It is also a nicely challenge to make a new high quality model with a non advanced program.
By first chance I will examine TrueSpace Tutorials and try to make something nice.
And the patience means freedom, to make not everything quickly and to impress the people , rather make it right.
tsvetan

Have thanks: 4 time

Postby BNG123 » December 18th, 2012, 3:55 am

I'd say give it a try and decide for yourself. Patience, or the lack of it is the primary reason why most people try using modeling software, get frustrated, and never really truly discover the personal pleasure that simple to use software brings to those patient enough to stick out the initial frustration of modeling software in general. The key seems to be mostly in finding the right software itself. I've tried using some like Blender, GMAX and a bunch of other titles advertised as easy to use, but found in truth most are anything but easy to use. People who lack patience give up quickly after trying only a few different products. The search for the right product varies from person to person, but the general idea is to keep looking until you find one that works best for your needs and level of comprehension. Happy holidays btw. Leroy.
BNG123

Postby BeYourself » January 21st, 2013, 1:52 am

Hi while I was reading your post, I started thinking about when I create 3D models at my firts times. :) I started with Blender. I was always keen on learning something new with computer programs such as Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Adobe InDesign and others. One day I was caught by an inspiration to create 3D model because of my favourite game The Simpsons : Hit and Run. For me it was interesting to understand how that kind of game was created. So when I first started to create 3D models I think I could not make that. But later, after 3 months learning I got the point and now I think I can create good 3D models. Everything depends on a enjoyment which you get from that activity, your enthusiasm, wish and time, because I know how open-hearted work you have to put on a model that you create. By the way, there are some good things : a)You can sell your 3D modelb)]share it with others and communicate with 3D creators c)keep to yourself and have a great collection of it :) d) make cool interactive cards to your friends, family ;) That`s for now.
Good luck ! ;)
BeYourself

Have thanks: 3 time

Postby BNG123 » January 21st, 2013, 3:14 am

In my case, I wanted to make some models and props for a video game called Battlezone II Combat Commander. I remember jumping through all kinds of modeling software hoops. I must have tried every free product ever released since 2005. Most were so complicated I really did get very discouraged, but perserverance was my motivational factor, and I just kept trying different products until I stumbled across Caligari modeling software. Sadly, by the time I got ready to buy a product called Caligari Gamespace the company itself pretty much went out of business and sold out to Microsoft Corporation of all companies. At the time I had several free Caligari modelers: Truespace 1, Truespace 3.2, Gamespace lite, and finally Truespace 7.6 and 7.61 Beta 8. All were basically the same functionally and I really was motivated to learn as much as I could to master the software. Eventually, a Caligari associate on another forum gave a copy of the full version of Gamespace. Caligari pretty much met my modeling needs like a glove. I model purely for the pleasure it provides to me personally. Making things in 3D is really just a new twist on the old art of sculpting only in virtual form, and adds the additional art of animating these sculpted works of art. :P
BNG123

Postby BeYourself » January 22nd, 2013, 1:39 am

Battlezone II Combat Commander ! cool ! That`s an really old game and it is nice that even then people get involved interesting in such things like 3D modelig :) You know today games such as Battlefield, Counter Strike and others are really in higher quality than old games but it comes natural I guess :D I was a big fan of Carmagedon , yesterday I downloaded it but when I play I realized : wtf ?:D what a strange graphic :) and yes.. Microsoft have buy almost everything in the world :lol: this is sad because usually all old features from old software are changed but from the other side they make some development... Thanks for sharing your experience ;) And I agree with you that `making things in 3D is really just a new twist on the old art of sculpting only in virtual form` .There are also 3D models printers came out so our creations can be alive now :) 8-)
BeYourself

Have thanks: 3 time

Postby BNG123 » January 22nd, 2013, 4:28 am

I'm really grateful to be able to make models in 3D. I love using different modeling software now as my experience is getting better using more advanced products like Blender, Softimage, even Studio Max. :ugeek:
BNG123

Return to Blogging a General 3D Modeling Discussion.