Welcome
Welcome to Caligari Truespace 3D Modeling Forum and Tutorials.

Click this link to join our community today.

GMAX Pandora Box Direct X exporter for Battlezone 2.

General blog related to GMAX modeling software, plugins, maxscripts and game packs.

GMAX Pandora Box Direct X exporter for Battlezone 2.

Postby BNG123 » November 3rd, 2013, 6:59 am

This is another X exporter I found on the web for possible use in using GMAX to create BZII models by exporting X models and converting them to XSI using 3D Exploration. The zip group has the maxscript and a separate executable program to save the X model to your BZII addon folder. Add the script to your GMAX scripts\startup folder. Then click on the Hammer icon in GMAX. Read the readme.txt for more information on the exporter itself.

Web link to Pandora Box site> Exporter Information.

PS: I tried the exporter and it does not seem like a better choice then justing sticking with the FS 2002 Flight Simulator MDL/X method considering animation and multi-object exporting are doable with the FS 2002 supports both of these basic functions. The Pandora option is presented for personal testing. Perhaps someone can check the Pandora script and modify it for actual BZII usage.
Attachments
PB_Gmax_Exporter.zip
Extract to your GMAX scripts\startup folder to auto load the X exporter script.
(34.13 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
BNG123

Have thanks: 2 time

Re: GMAX Pandora Box Direct X exporter for Battlezone 2.

Postby tsvetan » February 17th, 2014, 4:53 pm

PB exports the last created object in the selectionSet texcoords, normals and mesh. It doesn't handle the animation data, but is sweet algorithm.
tsvetan

Have thanks: 4 time

Postby tsvetan » February 18th, 2014, 5:11 am

I think "PB GMAX X File Exporter.exe" is able to export data from the listener, if you add the next extra lines on top of the text in listener.

xof 0302txt 0032

Header {
1;
0;
1;
}

Maybe the method is helpful with other exporting scripts.
tsvetan

Postby BNG123 » February 20th, 2014, 10:37 am

That would be sweet. Can the extra information be added to the existing exporter or would it be necessary to modify the existing executable? Please let me know what is possible. Currently, the most usable BZII X export option is the one released with the Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002 gamepack. See this post to view the FS 2002 exporter. Perhaps you could take a look at it and see if anything can be useful. My understanding is that the FS 02' supports animation although I'm not sure about envelope animtions.

You know what really baffles me? The BZII game engine can actually import an X model directly into the game, however, I've never been able to figure out why the engine can't read the 2d texture information from the X model file itself.

FYI: BZII does not directly use the original XSI/X teeext based model data itself instead the engine converts the text data to a binary mesh format with an .MSH extension, however, the MSH file has references to the 2d texture in the binary file itself, but the engine can't read the information in the X version like it can in the XSI version? Do you have any ideas on how to address this type of issue? The text versions of both Softimage and DirectX share quite a bit in common, however, the layout of the information and some naming conventions seem to create problems for the game engine itself when attempting to use X verses XSI model data.

The X models that I've loaded into the BZII map editor originally had some issues like the faces were inverted and the models orientations was reversed. I corrected these issues in the modeling software by flipping all the face normals and exporting the model using the left coordinate system. The model would load correctly but only the original base material colors would appear. I know the 2d textures were present but the game engine itself was not capable of displaying them on the model itself. Thanks for the information on the pandora X exporter. Leroy. :D
BNG123

Postby tsvetan » February 25th, 2014, 5:04 am

Do you know where to dawnload the BZ2 ME?
tsvetan

Postby BNG123 » February 26th, 2014, 8:43 am

tsvetan wrote:Do you know where to dawnload the BZ2 ME?

Unfortunately, it's a part of the game itself. The latest beta release has an executable of the map editor, but I don't know if it will run independent of BZII? I could provide a copy of BZII, but I'd have to upload it somewhere and in a way you could install and run the program. Let me know what you would like to do and I'll work with you on getting it accomplished. Leroy.
BNG123

Postby tsvetan » February 27th, 2014, 4:29 am

I wanted to test how the Map Editor reads textures' files for x and xsi formats. There are two templates "Texture2D" ( writes full path ) and "TextureFilename" ( writes filename ). The game engine should be able to extract the filename from a absolute file path and look for the texture in the directory, where the current model is located or in some other directories, set beforehand by the developer.

I can compile the executable, that reads the listener ... next time.
tsvetan

Return to Blogging GMAX 1.2 a la web